Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cuban dissident slams censorship, travel restrictions

Cuban dissident slams censorship, travel restrictions
(AFP)

MIAMI — Blogger Yoani Sanchez denounced the travel restrictions and
censorship imposed on dissidents like her in communist Cuba, as she
introduced her latest book at a Miami book fair via telephone.

Sanchez, named by Time magazine as one of the world's 100 most
influential people in 2008, called in Thursday evening to a Miami Book
Fair International event moderated by Cuban writer Carlos Alberto
Montaner, journalist Alberto Muller and her editor, Eugenio Tuya.

"I couldn't come because of migratory limitations. To feel free in
cyberspace has also brought me immobility as a punishment," she told the
mainly Cuban audience before the connection was lost.

In a pre-recorded video, she touted her blogging manual -- "WordPress, a
blog to speak to the world" -- as "more than a technical guide because I
included stylistic advice and then some personal experiences."

"I think it is a manual that could be useful both to someone who lives
in New York, with everything in reach, but also someone who like me has
lived in a country with censorship," said Sanchez, whose blogs won her
El Pais's prestigious Ortega y Gasset Journalism Awards in 2008.

The new book was published by Grupo Anaya, Spain's leading educational
publisher, and released in Spain in June. It goes on sale in some Miami
bookstores after the book fair.

After the telephone connection was dropped the first time, Sanchez's
Twitter account was lit up on big screens in the auditorium at
Miami-Dade College, the venue for the event.

"I am sick of narrating my life in the improbable tense... 'If I had
been there,'" she wrote.

"Nobody has the right to prevent another from seeing the fruits of her
tree, of watching her child grow, of seeing her book be presented. But
I'll survive! I will live in a future without so many absurdities, I
will live in a freer, more civil Cuba."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iH8rLAMLaCjFdEI1I6mHqYp8k5Aw?docId=CNG.bb560ae65a071dc80a1c88fdc371ec35.671

No comments:

Post a Comment