Cuban Civil Society Open Forum statement on the resumption of relations
with the US / 14ymedio
Posted on December 23, 2014
14ymedio, Havana, 23 December 2014 – With regards to the announcement of
the restoration of relations between Cuba and the United States, coming
out of secret negotiations, the Cuban Civil Society Open Forum wishes to
- We are pleased for the dozens of compatriots who will be released from
prison and also by the release of Alan Gross.
- We believe that this ends the pretext and the official narrative of a
besieged people, and that we must focus on democratic change in Cuba.
- We assume that the pressure from Cuban democrats within and outside
the Island has contributed in a substantive way to the creation of this
new scenario, and so we confirm that in the future we must expand the
role of our civil society.
- We must listen to, reflect, and give voice to what the Cuban people
are feeling at this time and offer them a new narrative, tactics and
strategy, and a new language.
- We make a call to strengthen the unity in diversity achieved so far,
whatever our opinions may be on this issue, and to maintain equanimity
- We expect that further negotiations will be carried out with greater
transparency and will take into account all of the actors of Cuban
society, without secrecy, and not behind the backs of institutions.
Source: Cuban Civil Society Open Forum statement on the resumption of
relations with the US / 14ymedio | Translating Cuba -
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Cuban Civil Society Open Forum statement on the resumption of relations with the US
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment