Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vacations

Vacations / Regina Coyula
Posted on September 2, 2014

With the heat, my summer option is to sit in front of the TV, but not in
front of the summer programming which doesn't interest me, rather to
decide what I watch because in the end I have a TV for the halfway
intelligent.

"24" with its thrilling season has been the thriller. And it's not that
I don't know that later in the third season Jack Bauer will save the
world once again with the help of Chloe alone, but he'll still end up
screwed; it's that in this tacit agreement, I'm disposed to believe in
Super Bauer if it's told well.

Also the action movie, Die Hard, 5? 6? 7? Bruce Willis, Bauer's putative
uncle, does his thing in a Moscow unrecognizable for those left in the USSR.

Not everything is banal. movies like "Siberian Education" or "The Map in
the Clouds" have added the dramatic note. Light humor comes at the hands
of "Modern Family"; thanks for not putting canned laughter in "Breaking
Bad," excellent black humor, the best of the summer. "The Hammer and
Tickle," a Canadian documentary about USSR and Eastern European humor,
made me laugh and made me think of copies, and the current drought of
good jokes, in great measure due to the fact that so many of these jokes
were island adaptations of the originals beyond what you see, over there.

But the best has been the arrival of Piura, the new puppy in the house.
Perky, smart, loving, she's already the boss of everyone. And like all
my dogs, rescued. It's an odd vacation idea to spend my days cleaning up
pee and a good part of the night consoling a little puppy who's afraid
of the dark, but the dogcatcher understands me.

That's been my vacation. It's a really nice personal project that has
grabbed my attention.

29 August 2014

Source: Vacations / Regina Coyula | Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/vacations-regina-coyula-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment