Monday, May 16, 2011

Activists battle attacks on freedom of expression - Amnesty International

Activists battle attacks on freedom of expression

Pablo Pacheco Ávila, 41, independent journalist and blogger, Cuba.

Pablo PachecoIn 2003, I was sentenced to 20 years in prison for my work
as an independent journalist in Cuba.

Prison conditions were terrible – solitary cells with no sunlight and a
toilet in the same cell. I lost 30 lbs and suffered long-term damage to
my knees. My family was only allowed to visit once every three months.

I was transferred to other prisons, including in Canaletas, 8 km from my
home. This was the most sensitive period of my imprisonment – I was held
in a 6m by 7m cell with some 20 other people, including common
criminals. There, I lost hope. Several of the prisoners committed suicide.

In May 2010, the Cuban government announced it was closing the case
against me and others imprisoned during the "Black Spring" of 2003. But
instead of being freed in Cuba, we were to be deported to Spain.

It's difficult to explain what I felt when they announced that – it was
a mixture of uncertainty and hope. I wasn't able to visit my family upon
my release – we were brought straight to the airport.

Now I'm living in Málaga, and while I'm grateful for the solidarity the
Spanish people have shown us, our experience has been full of the
difficulties of exile.

My message to journalists and human rights defenders working in Cuba
today is one of hope, respect and solidarity. We're living in a
historical moment, one that's very important for Cuba.

Civil society in Cuba has already lost its fear to speak out, and the
world needs to support their efforts. Cubans deserve better.

Pablo Pacheco's blog, Voces del Destierro (Voices of Exile)

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/activists-battle-attacks-freedom-expression-2011-05-13

No comments:

Post a Comment