Thursday, May 26, 2011

Information from Santa Clara / Miriam Celaya

Information from Santa Clara / Miriam Celaya
Miriam Celaya, Translator: Norma Whiting

Since the death of John Wilfredo Soto this past May 8th as a result of
beatings received by local police, successive acts of violence, threats
and harassment of various kinds have been carried out against dissident
groups and individuals in the city of Santa Clara.

My friend and colleague, Carlos Valhuerdi, has informed me by telephone
about the hospitalization of Jorge Luis Artiles Montiel (Bebo) on a
hunger strike since May 9th to demand justice for Soto. Bebo was
admitted to the medical room C, bed 21 (phone (42) 270 450) at the
Arnaldo Milián Hospital in the city of Santa Clara.

Witnesses who had contact or were involved in the care of Soto shortly
before his death continue to be harassed. Such is José Lino López
Asencio's case, who was beaten earlier last week by some individuals
while they shouted revolutionary slogans in an isolated neighborhood
near his home. Lino went to the hospital with severe headaches,
dizziness and vomiting, where he was treated by a Bolivian student
because the doctor had "no time" or "was busy." The student ordered a
head x-ray, which came back negative: Lino showed no fractures. However,
they did not order a tomography and much less an MRI or any other
additional tests, except an abdominal ultrasound to verify that
pancreatic fluid had not leaked into the cavity.

Apparently, the medical authorities at the Santa Clara Provincial
Hospital have discovered that dissidents in the region have the tendency
to develop rare pancreatic disorders. Finally, at this "consultation"
Lino was advised complete rest and prescribed Naproxen to treat
inflammation. Later that night, he again returned to the hospital and
received an analgesic injection intravenously to relieve the headache.
The friend who accompanied him, Sander Reyes Machado, said that, after
leaving Lino back at his house and setting out for home, some unknown
individuals were waiting for him in that same remote neighborhood, who
attempted to beat him with clubs, but ran away because Sander was armed
with a machete and showed his intentions to use it to defend himself.

Lino continued with headaches, dizziness and swelling of the face into
the next day. Once again he went to the hospital. This time they
indicated a tomography and reached a diagnosis of a left sub occipital
neuralgia with post traumatic cephalalgia. The neurosurgeon who examined
him, Dr. Agustín Arocha García, stated there were no blood clots in
Lino's brain. They continued with the anti-inflammatory treatment.

As if all the troublesome process were not enough, on Saturday, May
21st, Lino was taken to the Third Unit of the Santa Clara Police, so
that he could once again relate the assault he was subjected to. Just
five days after his initial declaration, Lt. Colonel José Luis Pacheco
Ribalta, Head of Province Criminology — who had previously been a
police-instructor — conducted an interrogation peppered with threats,
and belatedly took photographs, when the Naproxen tablets were already
having their effect on the facial swelling. They indicated that they
would "investigate" the events and that "they would question him again".

Carlos Valhuerdi, dissident and independent journalist in Santa Clara is
the source of any information expressed herein. As Valhuerdi states,
harassment of members of the group linked to William (Coco) Fariñas has
gone on since Soto's death, and there is strong pressure against
witnesses of police brutality. A group representing Guillermo Fariñas's
group stood outside the Third Unit, in Lino's support, while he was
being interrogated.

Translated by Norma Whiting

23 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment